I was updating some lecture notes and decided to research why not to drink plastic bottled water. It ended up becoming a journey that opened my eyes and hence why I want to share this with you.
I do not recommend drinking bottled water, it is costly and not environmentally sustainable.
Here are some reasons why not to drink bottles water.
- Creating plastic bottles uses lots of fossil fuels and water. They have a high environmental footprint, with their creation, transport and disposal.
- We use 1.5 million barrels of oil each year, enough to fuel 100,000 cars for a year
- Plastic bottle are not disposable and are poisoning our oceans with tiny plastic particles. These particles stick around for thousands of years.
- Many disposed bottles are ‘downcycled’ which means out of sight and out of mind.
- Off the 30 billion plastic water bottles sold in the US in 2005, only 12% were recycled
- China has become the number two consumer of bottled water in the world, this is a lot of bottled water
- In 2011 bottled water made over $86 billion in profits
- Drinking it you support a booming bottled water industry
- You do not actually know what the water is inside. Some of it is just filtered tap water, an estimated 25 to 50% is tap water.
- Tap water has more strict health regulations than bottled water
- In scientific testing bottled water was found to be no safer than tap water
- The Pacific ocean has the largest dumping ground for plastics
- Seabirds, marine mammals and fish ingest the plastic and this affects their health
- We then eat these fish
- Plastic breaks down to micro plastics which have the potential to contain polyaromatic hydrocarbons that are toxic to all living creatures
- It is reported that 100,000 whales, turtles and birds die every year due to plastic in the environment. From ingestion or suffocation.
- We spend over $100 billion on bottled water a year, this money could be spent elsewhere
- Global consumption of bottled water has been going up 10% each year. Do your part to reduce that
- It uses 3 times the amount of water in the bottle to make the bottle
- Bottled water contains phthalates, mold, microbes, benzene, trihalomethanes and even arsenic.
- Contaminant levels in bottled water have been found to exceed those in tap water. Out of 10 popular brands, 4 had bacterial contamination and the rest had 38 different contaminants.
- Cancer causing agents can be found in bottled water
- It has only recently been screened for E.Coli, though what about other organisms.
- The markup on bottled water is very extreme, it can cost about 30 to 50 cents and is sold for dollars.
- Plastic is not good for us or the planet.
- Some companies may use BPA free water bottles, though they are laced with other chemicals.
- If the bottles are exposed to heat for a long time, leaving them in your car!, then these chemicals can become possible endocrine disruptors.
- Certain organizations and sustainable cities are eliminating them, there must be a reason why.
- To help demand beverage companies such as Coca-Cola used advertising to make tap water the enemy
- In Australia Coco-Cola sells over 50.4% of the bottled water here in this country
- It was 35.4% of our market segment in 2014
- Over the next five years, industry revenue is forecast to increase to an annualised 2.5% to total $702.4 million. This includes forecast revenue growth of 2.0% in 2014-15.
- We grow all our food in mains water
- Tap water is healthier and much cheaper
- When you stop using bottled water you will feel healthier instantly.
- It is unethical to drink it
- Take back your water power
This is what I found after an hour of research, do you have any more.
I drink Kangen water, which ionised water and is a registered medical device. I am happy to share more information about that if you want to learn more.
Go forth and stop buying bottled water, tell others about it, help to stop this money making racket and as I said at the end, take your water power back.